We are a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the early history of Canada, especially the War of 1812. We are self-supporting and receive no funding from the town of Amherstburg. Our headquarters is at the "Commissariat" King's Navy Yard Park, 224 Dalhousie Street, Amherstburg, Ontario.
The Commissariat Building is owned and operated by Parks Canada, and was built in 1831 as the Fort Malden office in charge of purchasing flour, beef, straw, firewood and other staples for the garrison from local contractors. The Commissariat Department also managed the pay and finances of Fort Malden.
Although it functioned as a private residence since the latter 1800's, it was purchased by Parks Canada in 1983, and restored to its original appearance. The Provincial Marine received a grant in 2002 from the Trillium Foundation to rent the building, and operate it as a headquarters and interpretive center for the Life and Times of Provincial Marine sailors and their families.
The Provincial Marine was formed by a number of people who were interested in history, sailing, acting, outdoors and many other areas. Therefore in creating this group, they have given it a mandate to:
- Promote the early history of Canada, specifically the War of 1812 and how it shaped the development of Canada.
- Teach its members the art of sailing historic ships.
- Live as members of the Provincial Marine would have at the turn of the 18th century and create as accurate an impression as possible.
- Teach the safe handling and firing of historic weapons of war.
- Assist other re-enactment groups, as well as organizations, where our presence would be appropriate.
- Let history come alive through music using period instruments and singing period sea shanties.
- Provide historical atmosphere at local community events.
- Interpret history to the public in displays and educational programs.
Please stop by the Commissariat Building in the King's Navy Yard Park and learn more about us.